Making pizza in a professional outdoor pizza oven, like the ones offered by Ooni, right in your own backyard, is a dream for many people. But if it’s raining, can Ooni pizza ovens still be used safely outside?
Ooni pizza ovens are safe and fully useable even in rainy weather. In fact, Ooni pizza ovens have been tested in temperatures as low as -22C, or -8F. This means you can reliably use the Ooni Frya, Karu, Koda and Pro lines of pizza ovens even in inclement weather – as long as you’re OK getting wet in the process!
But while Ooni pizza ovens are structurally capable of being used in the rain, there are some reasons why you might not want to in the first place. Let’s go over how Ooni pizza ovens are built to withstand wet and rainy weather, the downsides of using an Ooni in the rain, as well as some tips for using your Ooni pizza oven in less than ideal weather conditions. Keep scrolling to read more.
If you’re into pizza, you’ve probably heard about Ooni’s amazing outdoor pizza ovens. I reviewed and compared all 6 models so you don’t have to. Buy the right Ooni pizza oven for you.
|Ooni Fyra 12||$349||Cheapest oven, wood-fired, light, classic 12″ Neapolitan style|
|Ooni Volt 12||$999||Fully electric, safe for indoor use pizza oven, 12″, up to 850F|
|Ooni Koda 12||$399||Cheapest propane oven, ultra-portable, sleek design, classic 12″ Neapolitan style|
|Ooni Koda 16||$599||Large pizzas, sleek design, propane, natural gas support, portable, thicker stone|
|Ooni Karu 12G||$429||Cheapest multi-fuel oven (wood, charcoal, propane), classic 12″ Neapolitan style, updated for 2023|
|Ooni Karu 16||$799||Large Pizzas, multi-fuel (wood, charcoal, propane),|
You can store your Ooni oven outside in all sorts of weather using an Ooni oven cover/carryon case. You can find the right oven cover for your oven here.
Tip: You can store your Ooni oven outside in all sorts of weather using an Ooni oven cover/carryon case. Find the right cover for your Ooni oven here.
See Also: Ooni vs Roccbox Pizza Ovens Review
Ooni Pizza Ovens Are Built To Withstand Rain
Ooni is an outdoor pizza oven company based out of Edinburgh, Scotland. This is a fact Ooni likes to point out because, as you might already know, Scotland can get quite cold and rainy for a good part of the year. This means their pizza ovens have been designed for and tested in all kinds of nasty weather situations.
All Ooni pizza ovens are fully insulated and made using stainless steel, which means your Ooni won’t lose heat or rust when used in the rain. This is great news for those of us planning to make pizza for family or guests on a drizzly or rainy day.
For most people, this will mean using their Ooni pizza oven during a period of light precipitation. In this case, you’ll still want to make sure you’re working under some protection from the elements. The outside of the oven might be able to get wet, but your toppings and pizza peel need to stay dry.
Note: A raw pizza dough will not slide off of a wet pizza peel correctly, and if that happens, your pizza might land toppings side down inside the oven and create a big mess. Always make sure your pizza peel stays dry when using your Ooni pizza oven in the rain.
Ooni Pizza Ovens Should Not Be Used In Extreme Wind Or Driving Rain
Despite Ooni’s ability to withstand getting wet, you should be advised that these pizza ovens should not be used in extreme weather conditions like high winds or driving (sideways) rain. Under extreme conditions like these, wind and rain can blow into the cooking chamber of the oven and disrupt the cooking process or damage the interior.
This is especially true when you consider that all Ooni pizza ovens features a stone “baking board” as the primary cooking surface. These baking boards, like all pizza stones, should never get wet under any circumstances or you will risk cracking as the water will expand under extreme heat.
In other windy or cold weather situations, you might have trouble keeping the stone at its consistent maximum temperature of around 930F. You might also find that, if using a gas powered Ooni oven, that the flame goes out when you turn the gas down to lower levels. But for most people only cooking 1 or 2 pizzas, this shouldn’t be a major concern.
Related Post: How to Light any Ooni Pizza Oven
How To Use Your Ooni Pizza Oven In The Rain
The main issue with using the Ooni in the rain is keeping water from blowing inside the oven. This can disrupt the cooking process, prevent even heating and even potentially cause the stone to crack. To avoid this, always follow these simple steps when using your Ooni in the rain.
- Find a good spot to setup your Ooni that’s at least 3 feet (or 1 meter) away from any walls or other parts of your house.
- Most kinds of surfaces will work fine, thanks to its retractable legs, except for glass and plastic.
- The Ooni pizza oven will work fine in the rain, but try to find a place with shelter, or use an umbrella, to setup your work station as you don’t want your toppings or peel to get wet.
- If it’s windy, make sure the wind is facing the back of the Ooni pizza oven. If it’s a wood or charcoal powered oven (like the Karu, Frya and Koda varieties), a gentle wind can actually encourage the flames to radiate through the oven.
- Whether it’s wood, charcoal or gas, you don’t want wind blowing in through the front or it will blow the flames out through the back of the oven – this is bad and will cause your pizza to cook unevenly.
- Once you’ve determined that your Ooni is setup shielded from wind in the front and your work bench is sheltered from the rain, you can go ahead and light the oven like normal.
- Depending on the temperature or wind conditions, you may need to keep the flame going strong at all times to keep it from going out and to prevent the oven from losing too much heat.
- If it’s charcoal or wood fired, add a small amount of fuel to start and add more as the flame gets going. This encourages air flow and lets the flame grow to a healthy level.
- As always, keep your children and pets away from the Ooni while it’s lit and never leave it unattended.
How To Store Your Ooni Pizza Oven
Since Ooni pizza ovens can handle cooking in different kinds of weather conditions, you might be tempted to keep your Ooni outside all year long. This isn’t a good idea.
The best place to store your Ooni pizza oven when not in use is indoors, especially if you don’t plan on using it for an extended period of time. If you use your Ooni pizza oven frequently, and live in a moderate climate, you can safely store it outdoors, but make sure it’s covered or sheltered in case of unexpected extreme weather like wind, rain or snow. However, in almost all cases, it’s better to store the Ooni pizza oven indoors – even if it’s a little inconvenient.
Also, remember to make sure that the chimney cap is on when it’s not in use. If it happens to rain while stored outside without the chimney cap, rain can collect inside the oven and damage the interior. Keeping the chimney cap on while not in use outside will help prevent damaging the inner workings of the oven and maximize its lifespan.
Note: If you find that the stainless steel components of your Ooni oven changes color after regular use, it’s not because of exposure to rain or weather conditions. Stainless steel can change color, slightly, when it’s exposed to high heat, and all Ooni pizza ovens reach temperatures of up to 1000F on a regular basis.
- Essential Pizza Making Tools Checklist
- How To Transfer Pizza Dough To Pizza Stone Without Sticking
- How To Use A Pizza Peel: Prevent Sticking
- 70% Hydration Pizza Dough Recipe – No More Dry Crust
- When To Put Your Pizza Stone In The Oven
- Improved Ooni Pizza Dough Recipe: 65% Hydration, Double Fermented, No-Knead Method
- Ooni Pizza Ovens: All 6 Models Compared & Reviewed
- Ooni vs Roccbox: Which Is The Best Pizza Oven & Why
- Ooni vs Gozney Dome: Pizza Ovens Reviewed And Compared
- Ooni vs Big Horn Pizza Oven: Ooni Clone or Cheap Knockoff?
- Ooni Koda vs Ooni Karu: Which Pizza Oven Is Best For You?
Can You Use A Pizza Oven In The Rain?
Most professional style pizza ovens, including Ooni ovens, are designed using materials and insulation that allows them to withstand mild rain and keep their heat in the process. However, you should never use your pizza oven in extreme weather conditions, including high winds or driving rain, as this can blow moisture into the oven while it’s hot and damage it.
Can You Leave The Ooni Outside?
According to Ooni, their pizza ovens can be left outside overnight under normal weather circumstances. If you don’t plan on using your Ooni for an extended period, however, you should consider storing it indoors to prevent. You should also bring your Ooni pizza oven indoors if you expect heavy rain, snow or extreme winds to avoid damage or decay.
Can You Use Ooni In Garage?
Ooni pizza ovens are meant for outdoor use only, so normally you wouldn’t want to use it in your garage. On the other hand, if you’re using your Ooni pizza oven right next to a wide open garage door there shouldn’t be any problems as long as it’s 3 feet (1 meter) from any walls. Wherever you use you Ooni pizza oven, never leave it unattended and don’t let children or pets near it while in use.
How Long Does It Take Ooni Koda To Heat Up?
The Ooni Koda pizza oven is fueled by propane gas, so when you light the oven and put it on a full flame, it should take approximately 15 minutes to reach a maximum temperature of 932F or 500C. After you’ve cooked your first pizza, it’s best to close the oven door and wait 1-2 minutes to let the oven reach its maximum temperature again.