When it comes to portable pizza ovens, Ooni is the king. And that’s for a good reason—Ooni pizza ovens are consistently top-ranked and widely considered among the best choices when buying a portable pizza oven for your home.
But that fact doesn’t make deciding which pizza oven to buy any easier. In fact, there are 7 very different pizza oven models to choose from within the Ooni collection.
Our goal here is to help you figure out which Ooni pizza oven model is best suited for your budget, pizza preferences, and lifestyle.
Save up to 20% on the Gozney Roccbox and free pizza oven accessories until December 14.
Getting Right To The Point: Propane Is The Easiest Option For Most People
In our pizza oven consulting business, the first question we ask prospective clients about is their level of experience using pizza ovens. Specifically, wood-fired pizza ovens. That’s because using a wood-fired pizza oven is time consuming and comes with a steep learning curve.
For this reason, we usually recommend gas powered Ooni pizza ovens for beginners and those not specifically interested in learning wood-fired cooking. This includes both propane and natural-gas models, though most opt for a simple propane connection.
We find this approach makes the choice between Ooni pizza ovens much more straightforward. If you want to make large 16 inch pizzas, go with the Ooni Koda 16 gas-powered pizza oven for $599. If you’re on a budget, or more interested in smaller Neapolitan sized pizzas, the Ooni Koda 12 gas-powered pizza oven is an excellent choice at $399.
The Koda 16 and Koda 12 are the only gas-exclusive pizza oven models in Ooni’s collection. Choosing a gas-exclusive model saves you money and makes it easy for beginners to get up and running fast.
Wood-Fired Ooni Pizza Oven Choices
While we recommend propane models for most people, that doesn’t mean you should shy away from some of Ooni’s wood-fired choices. Making pizza in a wood-fired oven is the most authentic pizza-making experience you can have, and Ooni is arguably the market leader in portable wood-fired pizza ovens.
For those interested in a wood-fired Ooni pizza oven, the next question we ask is if they want to cook exclusively with wood, or just want the option to do so down the road. This makes a big difference in terms of which Ooni pizza oven we ultimately recommend to our clients.
If you want to cook with wood exclusively, we recommend the Ooni Fyra 12 pizza oven. This exclusively wood-fired pizza oven is budget friendly at only $349 and uses wood pellets instead of traditional wood logs.
Wood pellets are easier to use and more energy efficient than regular wood logs. This makes the Ooni Fyra 12 a great choice for wood-fired novices as well as those with more experience. We also really like its gravity-fed pellet hopper which automatically draws more fuel into the chamber as needed.
Ooni Multi-Fuel Models Offer The Most Versatility
For those who want the option to cook with wood and gas, Ooni offers several great choices. Multi-fuel pizza ovens are great for those who want the ability to cook authentic wood-fired pizza with the option to simply fire up the oven and start cooking quickly using propane.
That said, multi-fuel pizza ovens are the most expensive option, so make sure you actually intend to use both fuel types before investing in one.
Why Size Matters
In terms of which multi-fuel Ooni oven we recommend, it really comes down to size. If you want to make large New York or New Haven style pizza using either wood or propane, it’s easy for us to recommend the award-winning, AVPN recognized Ooni Karu 16.
The Ooni Karu 16 can do it all and has all the features you’d expect in a premium quality pizza oven—and at $799 for the base model, the price reflects that. For this price, you’re getting one of the best portable pizza ovens on the market and the ability to seamlessly switch between fuel types and cook pizzas large and small.
The Ooni Karu 16 is the only 16 inch multi-fuel pizza oven in the Ooni collection, but if you only need a 12 inch model there are more choices and lower prices.
For example, the newly launched Ooni Karu 12G is basically a miniature 12 inch version of the Ooni Karu 16. This multi-fuel pizza oven has all of the best features of the Karu 16 along with a newer more fuel efficient design. It’s also significantly less expensive, at only $429 for the base model.
In fact, we would go as far as to say that the Ooni Karu 12G is the best pizza oven in Ooni’s collection in terms of features and price. You simply won’t find a better designed or better performing pizza oven at a better price from any brand out there today.
Indoor Pizza Ovens: Ooni Volt 12
So far, all of the pizza ovens we’ve mentioned are exclusively designed for outdoor use. This is because burning combustible fuel in an enclosed area is extremely dangerous without a professional installed commercial ventilation system.
But if you’re looking for an indoor pizza oven, you do have one option within the Ooni lineup, and it’s a good one. In fact, it’s probably the best indoor pizza oven on the market right now—at least in North America.
The Ooni Volt 12 pizza oven is fully electric and indoor-safe. It doesn’t reach the same high-temperatures as the outdoor models (850F vs 950F for the others), but it’s more than hot enough even for Neapolitan style pizza.
Keep in mind that you’re paying a premium for the option of cooking indoors. Priced at $999, the Ooni Volt 12 is significantly more expensive than every other Ooni pizza oven. So if you do decide to get one, just make sure you really want/need to cook indoors, otherwise you can save a lot of money going with an outdoor model.
That said, the Ooni Volt 12 is virtually the same price as other indoor pizza ovens and generally performs much better. The Volt 12 is currently our favorite indoor pizza oven, edging out our previous favorite the Breville Pizzaiolo.
The Ooni Pizza Oven Collection
With the comparisons out of the way, let’s take a brief look at each individual Ooni pizza oven. The reference chart below covers the basics before we get into more details later.
|Ooni Oven Model||Max Pizza Size||Heatup Time||Baking Surface Size (inches)||Weight||Fuel Type||Main Selling Point||Price|
|Karu 16||Up to 16 inches||15mins||16.7 x 24.5″||62.6lbs||Wood, Charcoal, Propane Gas & Natural Gas||Ooni’s flagship pizza oven model.||$799|
|Karu 12||Up to 12 inches||15mins||13 x 13″||26.5lbs||Wood, Charcoal & Propane Gas||Least expensive multi-fuel||$299|
|Karu 12G||Up to 12 inches||15mins||13 x 13″||34.17lbs||Wood, Charcoal & Propane Gas||New design, fully featured, great price||$429|
|Koda 16||Up to 16 inches||20mins||16 x 16″||40.1lbs||Propane Gas & Natural Gas||Best choice for NY and New Haven style||$599|
|Koda 12||Up to 12 inches||15mins||13 x 13″||20.4lbs||Propane Gas||Portable, affordable, convient||$399|
|Fyra 12||Up to 12 inches||15mins||13 x 13″||22lbs||Wood Pellets||Gravity-fed wood pellet hopper, wood-fired||$349|
|Volt 12||Up to 12 inches||20mins||13 x 13″||39.2lbs||Electric||Only Indoor electric model||$999|
Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven:
- Most feature-packed Ooni pizza oven.
- Only domestic pizza oven with AVPN recognition.
- Versatile fuel options including wood, charcoal, propane gas, and natural gas.
- Glass viewing door to monitor the cooking process.
- Built-in thermometer for precise temperature control.
- Our personal favorite portable pizza oven on the market today.
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $799
Karu 12 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven:
- Older model, to be discontinued soon, offered at a steep discount.
- Multi-fuel model with very few extra features.
- Compact size suitable for up to 12-inch pizzas.
- Fuel versatility with wood, charcoal, and propane gas options.
- Lightweight at 26.5lbs, making it relatively portable.
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $299
Karu 12G Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven:
- Similar to Karu 16 but smaller.
- Upgraded version of the Karu 12 with way more features.
- Offers wood, charcoal, and propane gas as fuel options.
- Newest and most fuel-efficient Ooni pizza oven.
- Insulated glass viewing door and built-in thermometer.
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $429
Koda 16 Gas Powered Pizza Oven:
- Exclusively gas-powered, with both propane and natural gas options.
- No assembly required, making it user-friendly.
- Least expensive 16 inch pizza oven in Ooni’s lineup
- Unique “L-Shaped” burner for even cooking
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $599
Koda 12 Gas Powered Pizza Oven:
- Exclusively gas-powered.
- Lightweight at 20.4lbs, enhancing its portability.
- Smaller, simpler version of the Koda 16.
- Suitable for up to 12-inch pizzas.
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $399
Fyra 12 Wood Pellet Pizza Oven:
- Exclusively uses wood pellets as fuel.
- Gravity-fed pellet hopper is easy to use and fuel-efficient.
- Successor of the Ooni 3 model with improved features.
- Outdoor use only.
- Price: $349
Volt 12 Electric Pizza Oven:
- The only Ooni model designed for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Powered by electricity, offering a unique fuel source among the models.
- Max temperature of 850°F, slightly lower than other models.
- Price: $999
You can find all of these Ooni ovens by checking out our pizza shop page, including links to purchase directly from Ooni.
Let’s keep this section brief and just reiterate some of our main recommendations.
- If you want the best portable pizza oven money can buy, go with the Ooni Karu 16 multi-fuel.
- If you want convenience and the ability to cook large 16 inch pizzas, go with the gas powered Ooni Koda 16.
- If you want all the features of the Ooni Karu 16 in a smaller, less expensive package, go with the Ooni Karu 12G multi-fuel.
- If you want the most compact, lightweight, easy to use pizza oven, go with the gas-powered Ooni Koda 12.
- If you want an affordable and authentic wood-fired oven, go with the Ooni Fyra 12.
- If you don’t have any outdoor space, or prefer to cook indoors, go with the Ooni Volt 12.
- If you want a multi-fuel pizza oven for the lowest possible price, go with the Ooni Karu 12 (previous version of the new Ooni Karu 12G).
Still unsure which pizza oven is best for you? Fill out our free pizza oven quote form and we’ll get back to you with a recommendation along with a full cost breakdown.
What warranty do ooni pizza ovens have?
All Ooni pizza ovens come with 1-year as standard, which can be extended to as long as 5 years if you register the oven within 60 days. For more specific details, refer to Ooni’s warranty information page.
Which Ooni Pizza oven is best for a beginner?
If you’ve never used a pizza oven before, we recommend the Ooni Koda 12. This pizza oven uses gas and is very easy to master in a short time. It’s also not too expensive in case you decide that making pizza at home isn’t for you.